James Kent - Old Foley Chintz Pottery
- "This firm of general domestic potters, Old Foley, Longton, was founded by James Aloysius Kent (born 1864 died 1953) with five workmen from the firm of Barker & Kent (including Arnold Bennett's brother Septimus Bennett, modeller) in 1897." from Mankowitz & Haggar
- James was joined at the business by his four sons.
- James Kent became a Limited company in 1913.
- When James died in 1953 he was succeeded as Chairman by his second son, Philip Francis Kent.
- The company continued as a family business until 1981 when it was purchased by Bayer (UK) Ltd. [Bayer is a German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical company].
- In 1985/6 the business was taken over by the pottery and engineer Morris Rushton
- The association with Morris Rushton was shortlived and 1987 the business became part of County Potteries PLC.
- In 1989 County Potteries was renamed Carlton & Kent (from the names of Carlton Ware and James Kent which the company owned). During the same year Carlton & Kent went into receivership and the James Kent part was purchased by M. R. Hadida Ltd., owners of Hadida Fine Bone China Ltd.
- The company was renamed James Kent (1989) Ltd.
- c.1995 Wedgwood sold the buildings of Foley China Works to James Kent who were operating at the adjacent Old Foley Pottery.
- The Old Foley Pottery was demolished c.2006 and the company operated from the Foley China Works.